Thread: Merrick de Avellen, the Dragoon/Knight/Wyrmslayer

Administrator Samuel Longfellow's Avatar

Merrick de Avellen, the Dragoon/Knight/Wyrmslayer

When I came back to Val following the con, I saw Gremlin998 several times over the course of that week on his character, "Sir Merrick de Avellen, Wyrmslayer of the (Undying Court)". Tonight, however, during the fight at Camptown, I noticed that he had changed his nick to "Sir Merrick de Avellen, Dragoon-Knight of the (Undying Court)", and was very puzzled. How can someone go from being a Wyrmslayer to being a Dragoon--literally opposite philosophies--in such a short time? And what on earth is a "Dragoon-Knight"? And why would a Dragoon--even a Dark Dragoon--be serving the Undying Court, rather than a dragon?

I decided to question him on the matter, and this is the transcript, read from the bottom-up:

Spoiler: 
    TheBlindOne (Wed Aug 20 23:56:25 2014):
    Thank you.

Sir Merrick de Avellen, Dragoon-Knight of the (Undying Court) (Wed Aug 20 23:56:02 2014):
    Cutepuppy... Zazen and Phantos also had some things to say about it.

TheBlindOne (Wed Aug 20 23:55:09 2014):
    I'm curious as to who approved that.

Sir Merrick de Avellen, Dragoon-Knight of the (Undying Court) (Wed Aug 20 23:54:47 2014):
    Another good question... Originally the proposal was made that he found some scrolls, but he was promised more power by becoming a follower of Dearhuk, so he is a dark dragoon. I am not up to date on the lore and all, but that is how it was approved.

TheBlindOne (Wed Aug 20 23:53:24 2014):
    You have approval to be a Dragoon? What dragon do you serve?

Sir Merrick de Avellen, Dragoon-Knight of the (Undying Court) (Wed Aug 20 23:52:59 2014):
    He is a dragoon and a knight... I have the approval to be a dragoon and recently became a knight of the undying court. I could change it to just Knight, if that works better.

TheBlindOne (Wed Aug 20 23:51:56 2014):
    "Dragoon knight" isn't a title I'm aware of. Who gave you your approval?

Sir Merrick de Avellen, Dragoon-Knight of the (Undying Court) (Wed Aug 20 23:51:11 2014):
    Good question... A lot of stuff has happened.

TheBlindOne (Wed Aug 20 23:50:28 2014):
    Just like two days I saw your tag set to Wyrmslayer. Now it's "dragoon knight"? Which one is it?

I'd like to know if his claim is legitimate, or if he has misconstrued what you may have said to him. And if it is legitimate, I'd like to know what the explanation is behind this, because as far as I know it doesn't align with the lore. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by Samuel Longfellow; 08-20-2014 at 10:08 PM.

WE GOT MAGIC N SHIT

He's not a dragoon, he's a follower of the belief system of dark dragoons, 'one above all'. He came upon information on the concept and dedicated himself to it. He has zero formal training or masters, so his title is incorrect (his knight title is also dubious).

Blog Entries
    Uther began as a mere wyrmslayer but, hearing tales of powerful dragoons, quickly fell off of the path of being a decent person and decided to look into "get powerful quick" schemes. He was given a warning and a possible chance at redemption from the ancient sage Aroken, but it didn't leave a lasting impression on the boy. When a vampire named Armand approached him with the offer of eternal life as a servant of Dearuhk, Uther weighed his options and found the path of light wanting; after some discussion on draconic lore, Uther seemed convinced that Armand could offer him not only power, but a chance at uncovering the ancient dark dragoon artifacts he had read about in his research. Taking on a new name and a new life, Uther became Merrick de Avellen, a member of the Undying Court by right of being a part of the de Avellen family. He carries the title Dragoon-Knight as a temporary measure of ego before he claims his rightful place as the DDK. To his friends in life, Uther remains the same person he'd always been, and the heroes of Last Wall are none too picky to press his true nature, at the moment.

Relonvyr'ven considered himself a dragoon, although he had no formal order to belong to, as this was his life-long quest.

“An abnormal reaction
    to an abnormal situation
    is normal behavior.”

Spoiler: 
    Join P.S.I. today! Fight for your world, fight for your timeline!

Let's just head this off right here.

Let him call himself that, it's been so long that it almost doesn't matter except to a certain set of people that know the lore in detail.

He's also not a bad dude. I think he just needs a primer on the lore and a little guidance.

but this is biased because personally I'd like to see Dragoons and Dark Dragoons and Wyrmslayers again.

I mean calling himself the Dark Dragoon or whatever doesn't hurt anything. ICly it could even make sense, if his character is calling himself that to build a reputation or just doesn't know anything but the legends.

edit: also yeah, totally stuck my nose in here. But I like him and as far as egregious mastication of the lore behind Wyrmslayers and Dragoons I haven't seen much out of him beyond the names and him using a spear.
    Last edited by TraceThis; 08-23-2014 at 10:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    It's all good. We answered some of his other questions about it on skype. These forums are as open to public as any other.

Oh.

did he give you cake?

Blog Entries

Yes, it was beautiful, naturally.

Eddie Izzard would be proud.

Thread Information